Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am a british citizen bound for the the UK this 21 aug 16

Customer Question

I am a british citizen bound for the the UK this 21 aug 16 together with my daughter (british citizen) and my new wife (US citizen). My wife will stay with us for 4 months, afterwards back in the US. Does she need a visa?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am a bit worried immigration might not give her an entry in the airport on 21 aug
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

As you probably know, US cititzens are generally allowed to travel to the UK without a visa and then are granted one when they arrive.

It’s discretionary though, which means that the entry clearance officiasl can refuse where they think someone may breach the immigration rules by attempting to stay longer than 6 months. This raises issues occasionally for married persons in your wife’s position because the officials deem such persons as potentially higher immigration risks.

If you had more time before travelling then she could have applied for visa ahead of time, but there isn’t enough time now.

I would suggest that she travels with as much documentary evidence of her compelling reasons to return home. So, evidence of her job which will continue after her stay (eg employment contract, perhaps a letter from her employer stating she is required/expected to return, evidence of a tenancy agreement or home ownership, bank statements, return flight ticket, basically anything which shows that she has continuing responsibilities back home.

If you carry this evidence with you and make sure you have your stories straight that she will return home and none of you have an intention to remain permanently in the UK then it will help.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
at the moment she doesn't have any of those documents. All we can get is a ticket to Paris on the 28th of August then back to the US on the 31st of October. Will that be sufficient enough for her to remain in the UK until her departure?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oooops! am so sorry her departure is January 2017. Will the return ticket be sufficient enough for her to be granted entry?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 months ago.

It will help, but it does not guarantee entry I'm afraid.

Tom