Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was granted Highly Skilled Migrant Visa in 2008. I moved

Customer Question

Good Morning, I was granted Highly Skilled Migrant Visa in 2008. I moved to UK and worked there for more than a year and then due to economic crash in the country I had to leave and find job in United Arab Emirates. Because of personal circumstances I could not go back to UK for renewal of my visa after its expiry in 2010. Is it now possible to apply for renewal?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, the HSMP visa category closed a number of years ago.

Had you remained in the UK then you could have applied for a renewal before your previous visa expired. However, as you relocated outside the UK your rights to apply under the HSMP category ceased when it closed in the same way that it did for all other migrants.

Assuming you do not have access to £200, 000.00 for investment in a UK business and are not in relationship with any person having a right to be in the UK then your options if you wish to work independent to any company you now work for are now restricted to:

{C}1. Tier 2 General https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-general/overview

{C}2. Tier 1 Exceptional Talent https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-exceptional-talent/overview

I really am sorry, I’m sure you feel it’s unfair and I do agree but it is the legal position regrettably.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thomas, Thanks for coming back. I might be able to invest GBP200,000. I have two children who are above 18 years. Will they also be eligible for residency visa? What type of investment is permissible? Is it giving away money to government or investment with return? Can I start my own business with that money? How long is the process?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

If you have that level of funds available then you coudl apply for a tier 1 entrepreuer visa:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/overview

This would have to be for the purpose of setting up and investing in a business which you would have to run in the UK. Your children could apply as your dependents and you will see full infomration is contained on the links in the above page.

Tom