Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am a UK resident who has an indefinite leave to remain

I am a UK resident who has an indefinite leave to remain status in this country. I am due to apply for citizenship via naturalisation next month, September. My problem is I will be out of the country for work for months starting next month. I have an intention to come back and live in the UK. Will it still be possible to send the application for citizenship even if I'll be gone for months? I don't want to lose this opportunity for UK citizenship.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.

When is the next period of time where you will be in the UK for 8 interrupted weeks and will you still meet the residential requirements for naturalisation during this time ?

Tom

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is stated among the list of requirements that an applicant should not be away from UK for a period of 90 days or roughly 3 months. Will it possible to file my application before I leave and then come back only for biometric enrollment?
Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Basically, you will not be able to go away once you have applied for naturalisation before it has been decided and returned to you.

This is because you will have to submit your original documents, including passports/ID card with your application. They home office will then hold the documents and examine then during the time that they are deciding the application.

This means that you will be without your passports during this time and would not be able to travel abroad until the application has been decided and the documents returned to you.

So, you either have to apply for naturalisation and not travel OR you have to travel and then apply for naturalisation at a later date. If you decide to travel at a later date then you must only apply if you are sure that you still meet the residential requirements taking in to account your absences from the UK including any recent absence that you have taken due to work.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom