Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a German national, having lived and worked in the UK

Customer Question

I am a German national , having lived and worked in the UK for the last 16 years and am going to be applying for a Permanent Residence Card. I have worked full time up until October 2015 and went on Maternity Leave, I am now working 16 hours a week on a flexible contract - I can work up to 36.5 hours per week on this contract and I would like to know if the Home Office would apply a Minimum Earnings Test or Primary Earnings Test to my application?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Dear Customer, there is no such thing as a Minimum earnings test or Primary earnings test to gain a Permanent Residence card if you are an EU NATIONAL, such as a German citizen. You don't need to show proof of your earnings in order to apply. A Permanent Residence card must be held for one year to prove you have been "visa free" for a period of one year before you apply for UK citizenship. HOwever, there is no separate test to get the Permanent Residence card. It merely evidences your status. Additionally, there is no minimum earnings test if you are applying for UK citizenship. EU nationals do not have a minimum earnings test applied to them in either instance. So, you are worrying unduly.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.