How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7591
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Waleed,. Im a UK citizen. I was born here and have lived

Resolved Question:

Hello Waleed,
my name is***** a UK citizen. I was born here and have lived here all my life.
In 2008 I entered into a relationship with a Russian woman living in the UK. As it turns out illegally.
We have lived together in Scotland since 2009.
We would like to try to make her situation in the UK legal. It is our intention to stay in the UK.
I was legally seperated from my wife in 2009 but am not divorced. This was done under Irish Law. My wife is Irish and lives in Ireland with our 2 children.
Do you have any advice on how we might proceed?
Best regards
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.


Do you earn more than £18600 per annum from employment?


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If you are not divorced then you will not be able to secure her status in the UK based on relationship at the moment because you are still technically married.

Once you are divorced then provided that you can show that you have lived together in a relationship similar to marriage by cohabiting for two years then she could apply for an unmarried partner’s visa.

However, because she does not have leave to remain in the UK she would most likely have to return to her home country to make the application from there.

If you intended to marry then you can apply for a fiance visa (once she has left the UK) so that she can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying. Once married you would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement – Further Leave To Remain). Two applications, two application fees.

Alternatively, You can either marry inside the UK before she goes or outside and then apply directly for a spouses visa at the UK embassy there; Once application, one application fee.

There is a slightly larger amount of documents to submit for a fiancé visa because you have to show that you intend to marry once she arrive here.

The eligibility criteria are largely similar for both applications. The advantage is that if your fiance visa is refused then you are not married. If you marry and you spouses visa application is refused initially and then on appeal then you are stuck being married but in different countries.

Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:-

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-

{C}· If you are to apply for a fiancé visa you will have to show evidence of your intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.

{C}· Bank statements from both you and your fiance going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available

{C}· Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment

{C}· Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)

{C}· Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport

{C}· Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records

{C}· Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement

{C}· You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that you could do when you come here and show, via your CV, that you have the qualifications and work experience that you would be a viable candidate for those roles

She will also have to pass an Englsh Language test:-

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria. You will also have to produce statements made by both of you explaining and supporting how you meet the eligibility criteria.

She will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 if applying from outside the UK.

Generally, I’ve found that persons considering applying for fiancé/spouse visa are surprised by the documentary requirements and complicated nature of the application preparation.

The best thing that you can do is to instruct a immigration solicitor based here in the UK to prepare an application for her (whichever way you decide to do it). You can find local solicitors via:-

It should cost around £1000-1500+ VAT. It will save you money in the long run, in all probability.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7591
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tom, thanks for the answer. Is there no way of doing this without divorce papers. I understand that the divorce procedure in Ireland is difficult.
Or can I apply for a divorce in Scotland?
When we separated we lived in Scotland. The separation process was started in Scottish courts and then she moved back to Ireland and restarted the process there.
I look forward to your response.RegardsMark
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.


You would have to divorce I'm afraid.

I'm not really qualified to give an answer as to divorce in Scotland.

If you are now based in Scotland then you may be able to divorce there, but I cannot absolutely confirm. I would see a local matrimonial solicitor about this personally..


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm