Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I've been here in the UK for 6 months under tier 5

Dear Sir/Madame
I've been here in the UK for 6 months under tier 5 government exchange visa and I will extend at work (which gives me A rated COS) for one more year. Does this count towards ILR?
The other thing, can I switch to tier 2 without going to my home country? It says that doctors are among those who can do this. I'm a doctor; however, I work here as a researcher not a medical doctor! Can I still switch here?
Last question, does tier 2 necessitate a one month ad? I didn' see this on uk.gov website, but heard it's a must
Thanks for your patience and sorry for overloading
BW,
Riham
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.S.
I do pay taxes fully by the way
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Do you propose to obtain a tier 2 General visa?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can obtain it here without going to my country, then yes. Is this possible?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Sorry, I just have to check that it was a general tier 2 visa you hope to apply for.

Unfortunately, you cannot switch from a tier 5 government exchange to tier 2 from within the county. You will see from the following link that such visa is not listed in the eligible categories and as such the application would be rejected:

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

Tier 5 is a temporary visa category and unfortunately it does not give a right to apply for ILR and as you would have to leave the UK in order to apply for a tier 2 visa then not time spent on your tier 5 visa will count towards ILR. However, if you obtain a tier 2 visa then this obviously attracts ILR after 5 years residence so it’s not that long in the grand scheme of things.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's one question you did not answer. Does tier 2 application necessitate a one month advertisement for the job?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, yes, it does.

Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom