Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am british. I got married in Thailand to a Thai girl. It

Customer Question

I am british. I got married in Thailand to a Thai girl. It didn't work out. I have no certificate and never registered it in England. Am i legally married?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Provided that you married in Thailand according to the Laws and customs in Thailand the your marriage will be legally binding.

This means that under UK law you would be married. It does not matter that you did nothing in the UK after marriage.

This means that if you wished to remarry then you would obviously have to divorce and would need to trace a copy of the marriage certificate in Thailand (likely from a registry there) in order to divorce, whether here or in the UK.

I am sorry but you are still marriage under UK law if it was carried out legally in Thailand.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom