frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am in possession of a South African and British passport.

I am in possession of a South African and British passport. I was registered under the British Nationality Act (1948) as a citizen of the United Kingdom & colonies when South Africa was still a UK colony. I would like to know if my son (age 40) can apply for a British passport on the strength of my citizenship? Many thanks, Heather
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your enquiry.

When and where was your son born. When did you register as a British citizen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi FrantzMy son was born in El Salvador in 1976. I was registered as a minor as a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies in February 1966. I have attached a copy of the document.

Certain adults are able to register but it is unlikely that your son is able to register as an adult as he was not born in the UK and there is no indication that he has lived in the UK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would an ancestral visa then be applicable?

Would only apply if one of your son's grandparents was born in the UK. I would be grateful if you can rate please.