Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I do have ILR on an expired passport, I have renewed my

Customer Question

I do have ILR on an expired passport, I have renewed my passport but do not have a boiometric card as my ILR is on my expired passport. AM in entitled to work?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I do have Indefinite leave to remain on an expired passport, am in entitled to work in UK?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If you are in the UK and have an old passport with ILR stamped in it as well as a new passport without the stamp then you are entitled to work.

Obviously, you would have to show the old passport and the new passport together but an employer should accept this.

However, for ease of reference you may consider applying for a “no time limit stamp and a biometric residence permit by following the guidance and links on the following page:

https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Most people have BRPs now and so employers are a bit more used to seeing them instead of the old style stamps in passports.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tom
I just spoke with the home office and they said your response is wrong. I will need to transfer my ILR to my new passport or apply for the NTL which I am in the process of doing.
Expert:  Thomas replied 11 months ago.

I said that you should consider applying for the NTL in my answer above.

If they are saying that you are not permitted to work until you have obtained your NTL then they are wrong.

Tom