Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Is a child born in the uk woth an American mother and a

Is a child born in the uk woth an American mother and a British father entitled to dual nationality
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

When was the child born please?

Was the father a UK citizen at the time of the child's birth?

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Child due in April 2018 father born here and full British nationality mother us citizen
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Yes, the child is entitled to UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1981.

They are entitled under 1(1) of the British Nationality Act since any child born in the UK who has a UK father or mother is automatically entitled to UK citizenship:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61

Therefore, you can apply for the child’s passport upon birth in the normal way.

I would assume that the child is also entitled to US citizenship despite being born in the UK, though I would check this with a US attorney directly just to make sure.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom