Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Working and living in Doha - Qatar. My father was a british

Customer Question

I am Yousaf, working and living in Doha - Qatar.
My father was a british citizen, he was living in Uk since 1964. He died 3 months back in July.
My parents were seperated since long and I was living with my mother in Pakistan. She passed away in 1992,
I have been to London to meet my father in September 2011.
I would like to apply for permanent residency in UK for this I need your help.
Kindly advise.
Best regards,
Syed Yousaf Bukhari
+974 33161264 ***@******.***
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

How and when did your father obtain uk citizenship?

Where and when were you born please?

Tom

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My father got his British citizenship in late 60's. If you need I can email his passport copy to you.
I was born in Lahore - Pakistan and my date of birth is 30th June, 1959.Regards,
Yousaf
Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

Unfortunately, I cannot see that you are eligible for UK citizen.

I assume that your father was born outside the UK and naturalised as a UK citizen later. I also assume that your mother was born outside of the UK and was not a UK citizen at birth.

This is because you were born outside the UK before 1983 and your father was not a UK citizen at the time of your birth. No father at the time could pass on their citizenship to any child born outside the UK before they became a UK citizen.

If your father had become a UK citizen before your birth and you were born outside the UK but your mother and father were married at the time then you could have obtained UK citizenship, but unfortunately this is not the case.

The only way that you would have acquired UK citizenship is if you had lived in the UK with your father for period of time and then naturalised.

As it stands, you do not qualify for UK citizen and regrettably do not have any additional rights as compared to other foreign nationals.

I really am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 9 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom