Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have been married to my British husband for past 3 and

Customer Question

I have been married to my British husband for past 3 and half years and I am Nepalese citizen and on spouse visa which will expire in March 2018, which upon renewal, I will be granted Indefinite leave to remain (ILR). My question is, if my husband and I have to divorce before my spouse visa expires, will my status changes and will I still be eligible for ILR?
I came to UK in 2010, September on student visa and got married in April, 2013.
Many thanks,
Ten
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If your relationship breaks down or you divorce then your spouse visa will be curtailed and the home office will give you a short period of time to either leave the country or attempt to switch to another visa.

Switching to another visa would be very difficult unless you have children of the marriage.

You would not remain eligible to apply for ILR after 5 years because this requires that you are still married to your spouse.

I am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 10 months ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom