chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Dear Expert, As an expat British passport holder, I got my

Customer Question

Hi Dear Expert,
As an expat British passport holder, I got my wife the spouse visa valid for 33 month (not sure about exact duration) back in 2013 with the intention to move her to UK. However my company went into financial trouble and we decided to cancel our plan. Her visa expired without her staying in UK. My question is that If we restart the process of getting her a spouse visa, would she have any difficulty later getting permanent residency. On the web the procedure is outlined such that you get the first visa, live in UK the whole time then ask for extension and after that, having lived in UK for 5-6 years, finally you can apply for permanent residency. I don't want to be in a situation where my spouse goes to UK on her second visa but get no chance of applying for permanent residency. Hope it's clear.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 4 months ago.

Your question is perfectly clear.

As the previous visa expired without your spouse even travelling to the UK, you will have to apply again under the current rules. She would be granted a visa during which she must reside in the UK. At the end of her visa, she would be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards