chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I'm a EU national with valid PR. My husband is non EU with

Customer Question

Good evening
I'm a EU national with valid PR . My husband is non EU with valid PR as well. We would like to apply for British citizenship in October this year. However there is an issue. My husband arrived in UK illegally in 2001 and he was deported. He came back the same way in the end of 2001. I'm very confused now, as I'm not sure if he will be eligible to apply for BC this year.I consulted an immigration lawyer and he explained to me that my husband's 10 year ban finished in 2011 as he brought himself to the attention of the HO for the first time in 2001. Could you clarify this please?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 months ago.

When did your husband obtain PR?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good evening
We obtained or in August 2016
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Edit *pr

Was a 10 year ban issued in 2001?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was caught , his name, dob and fingerprints were taken and he was deported. He didn't claim any asylum seeker and we are not sure about the ban as he didn't carry any ID with him

If he was deported an automatic 10 year ban would have been imposed. The ban would then have ended in 2011.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. He was deported but I would like to check the issue of a ban. Is it possible for us to clarify this with HO?

Yes you can.

I would suggest carrying out a subject access request and obtaining a copy of his file from the home office.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your answer.

It's a pleasure.

Kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback. If you do not, I do not get credited for my time.