How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 504
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

I, Filipino, came to UK Feb 2017 with my partner,

Resolved Question:

I, Filipino, came to UK Feb 2017 with my partner, Portuguese. I applied for Unmarried Partnership Visa Apr 2017. I received a refusal letter dated 10 Aug 2017. My tourist visa expired at 10 July 2017.
Is there any way I can apply for a different visa within the UK in order to stay here? Or can we get married here?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately you cannot switch in the UK with a visitor's visa. You have to leave the UK and make your application.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got an overstayer friend who married a Spanish and everything seemed okay.
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

You are applying for unmarried partnership visa which is under British laws and therefore you cannot switch from a visitors visa. If you are applying under EU law that is a different matter. You friend would have made an EU application

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it possible to get married here in the UK under EU law since my partner is portuguese?
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

You don't need to get married to apply for extended family visa under EU law. If you have been admitted into the UK as an extended family member of an EU citizen then yes you can get married. If you are here under a tourist visa you can't.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh okay. thanks for the info
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

Please rate

frantzgregory and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you