frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am a UK citizen and my partner is a USA citizen. We want

Hi there.
I am a UK citizen and my partner is a USA citizen. We want to get married and reside in the UK. I was wondering what process was needed. We don't want to be apart during the process if possible. I know he can stay for 6 months on a visitors visa. Is it possible to do it all during that period? Any information would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Those in the UK under a visitors (tourist) visa are prohibited from getting married in the UK. The conditions of his visa would have been made clear to him on entry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply.
If he is prohibited from marriage on the visitor visa, what visa would he need to acquire beforehand and how long would that take? He is not in the UK currently (not visiting).

To be allowed to get married in the UK he needs to apply for what is called a marriage visa, which is similar to a visitors visa but for the purpose of marriage and then he must leave the UK. He could also apply for a fiancee visa which allows him to come to the UK get married and remain in the UK but he will have to apply for a spousal visa when he is in the UK. The 3rd option is both of you get married in America and then he can apply for a spousal visa in America.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thank you.
With applying for the fiancee visa, he would apply for that in America and then when it's approved, can come to the UK and get married? Once married I assume he then applies for the spouse visa. Would he be allowed to stay in the country while that was happening? And how long dies that usually take?
What route would you recommend?Kind regards

Absolutely well understood.

It can take up to 6 months and he would be allowed to remain the UK. The route you take should be based on your circumstances and you finances really.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see. That's good to hear. Finance wouldn't be an issue and I'm permitted to stay in the US so there is no rush that end.
Also I do not know if you would be able to answer this but. He has a business he owns in the USA. Would he be able to transfer any of that to the UK and during what part of the visa could he do that?

I am only able to assist with immigration related matters and not business issues I am afraid.

Please could you rate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No problem. Thank you very much for the advice. I shall rate.