frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I hold a Malaysian passport with a PR stamp in my expired

Hi I hold a Malaysian passport with a PR stamp in my expired passport dated 2003 which i used for travelling and work purpose to proof permanent resident status in UK.Now I was told I cant used the stamp in an expired passport for employment purpose, hence was told to apply for a BRP. In wake of this situation, what would you advise should i apply for BRP or for British passport pls? Ive live here in UK since April 2008 fulfilled the 5 years PR stay not leaving UK more than 540 days absence.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

You cannot apply for a Britsh passport until you have applied to naturalise as British using form AN.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. Thats what I meant which route should I take apply for BRP by using NTL form or option 2 download AN form for Naturalisation which involve UK life test and English test.

Depends on what you want? If you want to be British then option 2 if not option 1. Does Malaysian government recognise dual nationalities?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im not sure about dual nationality but based on the backlog processing HO has. My concern how long processing will take for NTL or AN which affects my present opportunity for engaging in seeking new employment recruitment firms as tbey are the one who advise me to get a BRP bcos of stamped ILR in an accompanying expired passport is no longer valid. Ive just been made redundant on 13/8. Hence Im in a limbo situation.

Both can take up two 6 months.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is equal waiting time, thanks and
appreciate your response. AN form has to 2 tier fees 1 for naturalisation and 1 for register. Which fee applies to me pls?

Naturalisation applies to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Frantz