frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am entitled to apply for UK citizenship in March 2018 I

HelloI am entitled to apply for UK citizenship in March 2018
I started preparing for it. Book my English test and bought books for another test.
Yesterday I find out that I need Permanent Residence certificate for 12 months to start the application process.
If on March 2018 I will have 5 years living in the UK, do I still need Permanent Residence Certificate?
One more question about children: I have 4 children under 18 and 1 was born in the UK.
Can I put them into my application?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

Are you an EU citizen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Yes you would need to apply for a document certifying permanent residency before you can apply for British citizenship. Each children will also have to apply for the said document. When was your child born in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
14 July 2015
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
to apply for permanent residency I need 5 years living in the UK?
And after I receive certificate I need to wait for12 months to apply for British citizenship?

Yes you will need 5 years continuous residence. After 12 months you can apply for British citizenship

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about settled status for EU nationalities? If we will apply for settled status, do we still need to wait any time to apply for citizenship?
And why you asked about a baby born in the UK?

I asked because some children born to EU citizens acquire British citizenship but your child doesn't. Settled status and PR are the same.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will my children receive British citizenship if I put them into my application?
And my oldest son will be 17 years and 4 months when I can apply for Permanent Residence and therefore 18 years and 4 months when I can apply for citizenship. How I need to act in this case?

Your children will get the same as you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what about oldest one?

All your children should apply for PR if they are here for 5 years

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't really understand, to apply for British citizenship I need continuously live in the UK for 5 years but to apply for B citizenship I need to hold PR certificate for which I can apply only after 5 years living in the UK. So, in reality, I need to live in the UK for 6 years to apply for citizenship?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just found information on Home Office webpage that
'' As we have said previously, EU nationalities do not need a document now to prove that you are resident in the UK. ''

If you want to apply for British citizenship, you need to first apply for a document certifying permanent residency.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry frantzgregory, but I don't satisfied with your answers.
Last information from Home Office that ''''EU nationalities do not need a document now to prove that you are resident in the UK''''

G​ood luck with your application for British citizenship.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks like I need to wait sometime to be able to use new application system which will be launched next year.