Barrister Khan
Barrister Khan, Barrister
Experience:  Excellent legal grip
81129786

I would like to know if I can apply for British

Hello I would like to know if I can apply for British naturalisation. I have recently married a British citizen and have lived in the uk for over 12 years. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Barrister Khan replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question.A British citizen has the right to permanently live and work in the UK without any immigration restrictions, otherwise known as a right of abode. Depending on your current citizenship status or nationality, eg, if you are married to a British citizen or have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), you may be able to apply for British citizenship through either the process of British naturalisation or registration.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok great thank you. I have had four separate visas since living in the Uk, two student visas and two Ancestry visas. I am currently on my second Ancestral visa which expires in 2021, but my query is, if I have lived in the UK for over 12 years now and am married to a British Citizen can I apply for naturalisation or registration now rather then waiting until 2021? Thank you.