frantzgregory
frantzgregory, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 5 years dealing with EEA Law, Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Law.
80411141

I am currently on Tier-2 General visa and I have lived in

Customer Question

I am currently on Tier-2 General visa and I have lived in the UK for 5 years 10 months together with my family: my wife and 3 of our kids, aged 8, 5, and 2 years old, two younger of whom where born in this country. All of us had valid Tier-2 visas (main for myself and dependants for the rest) which were to expire in January 2018.
6 months ago I decided to switch my employment, for which we made fresh Tier-2 applications for myself and my wife only, but not for the kids. During our visa application consideration by the Home Office they asked me questions why I haven't applied for kids' new visas together with the adults; I explained then that it was financially difficult for me to do all-in-one and provided them with evidence that the kids are living with us, attending school, etc., i.e. they are well looked after; after that we both got the new Tier-2 visas in April 2017, however these are still to expire by January 2018, due to general 6-year limit on Tier-2 status.
Apparently I have to apply for ILR soon to be able to continue living and working in the UK. I have recently passed the two exams required for that; my wife is currently preparing for these exams.
My question is: what is the current status of my kids in the UK? I feel that their present BRPs from my previous Tier-2 visa (before switching the employment) may not be valid anymore (even though technically they would have expired in Jan 2018), on the other hand the children have been lawfully residing in the UK for more than 5 years (or since his birth for the youngest one).
What will be the right sequence of actions for me to proceed with the ILR application for my family?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 17 days ago.

With regard to your children this is an example of what the say means penny wise pound foolish. Your children status became invalid after the switch and would be regarded as illegal. You will more likely than not spend more money now regularising thier stay.

When you make your application for ILR your children are unlikely to qualify. This is going to be a mess to untangle.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Unfortunately this does not really answer my question in the last sentence above about the right sequence of actions to proceed.

There is no right sequence of action. You need to apoly for ILR with your wife when she passes exams and both of you qualify. Children will need to apply for a dependent visa

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I just learnt from Gov.uk website that any children born in the UK to non-EU, non-British parents don't need Tier-2 dependant visas as such (unless they intend to leave and re-enter the UK). This is applicable to 2 out of my 3 children. So your initial statement "Your children status became invalid after the switch and would be regarded as illegal" is at best only correct with reference to my eldest child, as it seems. Or do I get it wrong?

If your children born here did not then apply to be a dependent then the rule you refer to is correct but unfortunately you have regularised thier stay and then didnt apply to include them subsequently which makes them illegal.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This does not make sense to me. It sounds like overriding statutory rights. Could you give some evidence of that, some quote from Immigration rules, etc.?
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 16 days ago.

What statutory right? There is no such right. Children born in limbo arent illegal but once they have applied for a visa and granted they cannot then claim to be in limbo because they were born previously in limbo. Once they have regularised their status and then allowed thier visa to expire, they become illegal. Being born in limbo means born in the UK while thier parents had valid visas.

Expert:  frantzgregory replied 7 days ago.

Please can you rate? I don't get paid for helping you if you forget to rate