James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have an ILE visa issued in 2008 with expiry date of 2010

Customer Question

Hi there i have an ILE visa issued in 2008 with expiry date of 2010 based on my British wife. I have been travelling with my expired passport till now and i didn't have any issue at the airport.I was working till recently when my employer told me they are not sure of my right to work in the UK even if i showed them my ILE visa.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: like what?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am suspended pending Investigation.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Frantz

I shall do my best to help you

Why were you suspended?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My company is not sure of my right to work in the Uk showing them my ILE.

They are quiet right to be concerned because ILE on an expired passport invalidates your right to work but the situation is easily remedied. You need to apply for s No Time Limit application with Biometrics. You would find details on how to go about making this application from the GOV.UK website

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have applied for British naturalisation based on three years + ILE settlement status as i don't want to pay twice for NTL +AN application.I am not subject to immigration control and don't think so the low applies to me. As far as I am concerned ILE entitles the same as ILR except for visa issuance locations.

ILE and ILR have the same status but until you have citizenship or NTL, the employer is right to be concerned.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you saying I am not entitled to continue working while my naturalisation application is on going?

I am saying for your employer to carry out the right to work procedure, they need the evidence that you have the right. ILE on an expired passport is not accepted.