José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

i got married in kenya to a kenyan woman after we divorce do

Customer Question

i got married in kenya to a kenyan woman after we divorce do i have to let the kenyan government know
Category: International Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

In no case you have to notify a goberment your choice or the fact of the divorce

José M. :

You only have to inscribe the divorce in your own country to be free to marry another person

José M. :

I will be here if needed. José M spanish attorney/solicitor

José M. :

Customer :

i got married 10yrs ago in kenya n now im getting divorced would my marriage be on their records n would i have to show them my divorce papers if i married there again

José M. :

International law says that in case that your partner do not agree or do not appear in the local court who knows your divorce you could go ahead without him and get your divorce. Once you got it in court you could inscribe it in the register of your country. Thats all

José M. :

So, you have to manage a local divorce in the place where you reside now and ask for a contentious divorce

Customer :

im a guy by the way. my fiance is kenyan n we want to marry in kenya. after my divorce we want to marry in kenya when we book the wedding would my name come up on their records showing that i married there 10yrs ago n if so would i have to show them that i divorced that person n show them my divorce papers

José M. :

I see. You have to manage a contentious divorce according Keniata law and once you got it you will be free to marry her.

Customer :

whats a contentious divorce

José M. :

A contentiuos divorce is when the parts are no agree in the terms of it or even in the fact of it

Customer :

i think we are on the wrong path here let me explain properly. im english and 10yrs i ago i got married to a kenyan woman who lived there and i brought her over here we split 2yrs later now im divorcing her here. about 2yrs ago i met some else there n now we are engaged n after my divorce im going to marry my fiance there. so would my old marriage still be in the kenyan records since it was 10yrs ago

José M. :

I see

José M. :

Your problem is that you will need to be bachelor, legaly unmarried, before you could marry her legaly. The way to get it its to inscribe the divorce sentence in Kenia and you have to do it after the contentiuos divorce procedure in court

Customer :

so after my divorce here. i would have to get divorced again in kenya

José M. :

No. Your sentence will be valid there. But we have to study if there is an international treaty about between your country and kenya because in another way you have to make it legal in an spacial procedure called exequator

Customer :

it all sounds very complicated

Customer :

n what do u mean my sentance will b valid there?

José M. :

It is really,

José M. :

There are two ways. Study if there is an international treaty between your country and kenia or the exequator

José M. :

Exequator could require several years ..

Customer :

so i couldnt get married there again for years to come

José M. :

That it is, yes

Customer :

is there any way round that to make it quicker

José M. :

First is to know if there is the international treaty or not. If not, may be money could make things easier...

Customer :

u mean grease a few palms as they say

José M. :

Yes

José M. :

It often works as you knows

Customer :

whos palms would i have to grease

José M. :

You will need to study in Kenia that matter

Customer :

whats an international treaty

José M. :

International agrement. Sometimes States get an agrement to give legal validity to their sentences in each country and it makes thing easiers

Customer :

if people get divorced here then marry here again then they would still need an exequatur?

José M. :

They will need if there is not the treaty UK - Kenia according to civil sentences

José M. :

Study if such a treaty exists

Customer :

what do u mean by sentences?

José M. :

judicial judgment

José M. :

The decisions of the court are sentences

Customer :

if i look up gov.uk list of treaties does it show the lists of countries that have treaties with us

José M. :

That is is the first step

Customer :

so if it shows kenya as one of the countries then would it be easy to marry again in kenya

José M. :

Sure

José M. :

It the treaty exists you will save several years

Customer :

i wouldnt need a exequatur?

José M. :

If the treaty exists not

José M. :

The exequator is used when the treaty does not exists

José M. :

Do you have another question? Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what treaty should i b looking at on the website u gave me

Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
International treaty over civil sentences recognociment
I mean, I treaty where each country considerers legal the sentences of the other in his territory
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i cant find that on there that website is confusing n i can find any list

Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
It is not easy to find. You will need a local attorney in UK or Kenia who knows international law....