José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Hi, I am an Irish resident who was recently charged with drink

Customer Question

I am an Irish resident who was recently charged with drink driving while on holiday in Portugal. My reading was 2.25 which is deemed quite high. My solicitor has informed me that I will likely be banned for 6 to 12 months and that I must provide the Portuguese authorities with my original drivers license which will be held by them until the ban period has expired. My questions are as follows?
1. Will a registered copy of my license suffice as I cannot operate my business without my drivers license?
2. Does the Portuguese ban apply in Ireland?
3. Do the Portuguese authorities notify the Irish authorities?
4. Have you any other suggestions to make?
ED
Category: International Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

By now there are NO centraliced sistem of information in Europe so as long as you do not drive in Portugal you will got no problems

José M. :

The information of your problem by now only is available for Portuguese autorithies so you have no riskes

José M. :

I say by now because they are sstuding a new sistem but by now is just a project

José M. :

Jose M spanish attorney

José M. :

I will be here if needed

José M. :

Customer:

Customer:

Many thanks for your reply.

José M. :

Hi there, I am on line

Customer:

Can you answer my first question regarding the license as I would like to retain my license in Ireland?

Customer:

Rgds

Customer:

Eoin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jose,

Do I need to send my original drivers license to Portugal or will a certified copy by an Irish Police Officer suffice?

I need my license to work in Ireland.

Eoin

Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

My advice is to leave your original in Portugal and demand a new copy in Ireland as you have lost it

Once you get your new copy in Ireland you are free to use it because there is not an european sistem to now sentences for another countries

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jose,

But am I not committing a felony in Ireland then because to get a replacement license I have to get an Irish guard to sign my application and I have to tell him I lost the license while I know it is in the possession of the Portuguese authorities?

Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

No, because you are asking for a lost one, ( Not stolen )

And Portuguese authorities has no competence on Ireland in order to avoid you driving

So its not a felony, its a competence and Portuguese has no competence on Ireland