José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I am an illustrator making illustrations for a book with an

I am an illustrator making illustrations for a book with an historical theme. I have made pen and ink drawings of (real) people and places, using as reference images in books and prints - all of which were published before 1911. The images in these books and prints were in turn based on paintings and prints originally made between 1780 - 1880, and many of these these original works are in the collections of major art galleries and museums.
Although I have used no reference material produced after 1911, do the owners of the original works have any claim of copyright on myself, or the publishers of the book my illustrations will appear in?
Category: International Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

Nobody could claim you for copyrights as they become over in 50/70 years after the deceased of the author

José M. :

So, in no case prints from 1780-1880 could be under copyright sistem protection

José M. :

In all cases be carefull not to copy the real sign of the author because it could be considerer falsification Usa alwyas your own sign

José M. :

I will be here if needed

José M. :

thank you

Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

I hope you could reach the link right now.

Moderators tell me that you could not

I will be here if needed