José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Under Brazilian law, if my mum does not name her children in

Customer Question

Under Brazilian law, if my mum does not name her children in her UK will as inheritors to a parcel of land with a crop she has recently brought, can the Brazilian government enforce Brazilian Will law that state at least half has to be left to necessary heirs. The Brazilian contracts state that ‘This agreement is enforceable against the Parties and their respective assignees, heirs and successors’ and ‘This agreement and all its provisions shall be irrevocable and shall bind not only the parties but also their heirs and or successors.’ Am concerned because she has signed two contracts, one for the land and one for the plantation management. There are costs that start in year 4 as well as revenue. If the crop cannot pay the plantation fee and management fee, then my mum has to pay it, and has 14 days to do so. If she dies then her successors/heirs are tied in, even though none of them have signed a contract.   And could you also please advise that since the contract was signed in the UK last Monday 21st July 2014 and the money paid to a UK bank account does this mean it comes under 14 day cooling off period of UK law even though the contract is under the jurisdiction of Brazil and clearly states it is irrevocable, with no cooling off period? Thanks

Category: International Law