José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I'm polish citizen that married an indian citizen in Ireland

Hi, I'm polish citizen that married an indian citizen in Ireland and later on we also married in India. Unfortunately we need to divorce, what is the best way to get the divorce in India as the divorce in Ireland requires 4 years of legal separation. Many thanks.
Category: International Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. You do not need to use the Irish law if you two agree to divorce in India, accordin to India´s law.

Contract a local atorney in India as the last residence of you two and you could get the divorce by agrement

The divorce could be legalizated in Poland what is the place where do you need to legalizate as you are Polish

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We both are living in Irealnd, we never lived in India or Poland.
My husband wants me to go with him to India to go to the court there and sign the divorce. He doesnt want to wait the required by Irish law 4 years of separation. I do not wish to go there! Is there any other way to process the divorce from Ireland? Also if we are not divorced in Ireland can we get the divorce in India ? and will it be valid divorce then for the Irish law?
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Well, if you agree to make the divorce by agrement in Poland you could do that. Even in India

By agrement you could chose the aplicable law and forget irish law

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** also ask you, If I never technicaly legalized the marriage in the Polish embassy could I still ask for the divorce in Poland or through the polish embassy in Ireland?
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Sure you could. According international law, by agrement you could chose the aplicable law

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

You have to go to family law in Poland and make there the procedure and once you got the sentence you could legalizate it at the embassy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you for the advise and have a good evening
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.