Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I live in Rep of Ireland and recently recieved 2 speeding tickets

Customer Question

I live in Rep of Ireland and recently recieved 2 speeding tickets which were taken by hidden camera which I did;nt know about at the time. My question is: Is there a law which states that a notice of prosecution must be recieved within 14 days of an offence being committed to make it valid? The actual notice was dated 19 days after the alleged offence.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to search.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
1. There is a law which requires that notice of the alleged offence must be given to the driver within 28 days of the commission of the offence by means of speed camera detection. Unless the driver receives notice of the commission of the offence within this time period, the prosecution is invalid if a speed camera is involved. However, you state you got notice within 19 days of the speed camera noting the commission of the offence. I regret to say that this would not be a valid ground for challenging the notice of the offence or the Summons issued as a result as you received notice of the commission of the offence within the 28 day time period. The basis for the 28 day period requiring notice is that a person has to be able to remember whether it was them and the events surrounding the commission of the offence. There is no 14 day time limit for the notice.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid