Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

If an individual is harassed, and there are many witnesses

Customer Question

If an individual is harassed, and there are many witnesses for the harassment, if they get contacted to witness:
-if the witnesses, or some of the witnesses say the false...what happens?
do they risk something?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I am here again...whenever u want u can answer

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.
1. Yes, any witness who gives false testimony, whether in court, or to the Gardai can be either criminally prosecuted for perjury or sued for damages by a person affected by the perjury. Accordingly, if you have been harassed and someone has given incorrect testimony about the incident, then you can firstly make a complaint to the Gardai about it and seek that a criminal prosecution be brought. Secondly, if this does not happen, as there is a high threshold of proof for a criminal prosecution, you can sue them yourself for damages for any harm caused by the incorrect testimony, as perjury is a tort or civil wrong. In either of these options, you can ensure that the person who has given the incorrect testimony accounts for their perjury.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.