Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

epc,plc sent me a fine for a toll when using my car in ireland,

Customer Question

epc,plc sent me a fine for a toll when using my car in ireland, i paid the amount, but as i was away on holiday, it did not reach them in time, now they have added over 120 pound to the invoice, and have just received a letter before debt collection, can they legally persue this?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What is the date of the offence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was when i was on business in ireland, toll dates from 21 march to the 23,

paid the toll request 21.64 a week after i should have, then i had a letter stating i owed them 147.26

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have you a answer???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
not replied to question,
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay. I lost my Internet connection.

Is this Northern Ireland please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, republic of ireland, dublin......

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

various on line forum's say epc, just keep on sending out these letters but there is nothing they can do further, as they have bought car drivers info off the dvla....

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, can't help if this is Republic of Ireland.

I will move this to our Irish section for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what happens is epc, buy these fines from people driving abroad, and then get info off the dvla, and then add there charges on top.... they are based in the uk.... can they legally persue me, but that inflated amount, when i actually did pay, albeit late???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

but i am being pursued by epc...english company who buy up fines from drivers whilst driving abroad, then get your info off the DVLA....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

any answers as i need to move this on??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer to my question
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.

Your question was in the UK law category. I have just moved it to the Republic of Ireland and will be trying to find you an Ireland legal professional to answer your question.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you receive my last reply, as not showing up as sent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought it was now uk law, as epc ltd are based in shepperton, and send out inflated fines who are uk based drivers with fines from driving in countries abroad,
they have got drivers info from the DVLA, and then persue them from the uk...

i paid the bill/charge, albeit a week late, months ago....then they pursuing me for another 120 pounds for not paying on time..

can they legally do this??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just checked the letter....

issuing organisation is the M50 Roads Authority Pierse & Fitzgibbon Solicitors, state 147.26 is outstanding...

Which is the toll road in Ireland, the letter is from EPC,plc Euro Parking Collections plc...

I paid the initial toll fine, 21.64.... and they have said it is now 147.26