Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi im a mauritian and my son born in ireland in 2008 he will

Customer Question

Hi im a mauritian and my son born in ireland in 2008 he will 5 years old next month i just want to know if he can get irish passport thnks..
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Your son can get an Irish passport if either of his parents were validly and legally resident in Ireland at the time of his birth. For example if you or his other parent were either an Irish citizen or had a valid visa to live and work in the country at the time of his birth then your son will be entitled to an Irish passport. However, a student visa is not sufficient as it does not give the right to work. BEing born in Ireland no longer automatically gives the right to an Irish passport and Irish citizenship. It is necessary that one of the parents be an Irish citizen or have the right to live and work in Ireland. Be aware that you can make a passport application to the Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service at www.inis.gov.ie. If you require any further clarification or if you wish to provide further details of the other parent which are relevant, I will be happy to help further.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively