Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My ex husband of 17 years has written a book to be on the shelves

Customer Question

My ex husband of 17 years has written a book to be on the shelves in November. Are my children entitled to any royalties from this book please. We are not legally separated nor are there any divorce proceedings pending.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that your children have no right or entitlement to any of the royalties from your ex husband's book. In law those royalties belong to him alone and only him. There is no basis in law for his children suddenly acquiring rights to any of his property, such as his stream of royalties. If you wish, personally, to get a share of his assets or income, then you will have to seek that as part of a divorce or separation proceedings. Apart from this method, there is nothing in law which forces a living person to share their property with anyone even their children. Different considerations apply on death.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively

Customer : Not satisfied with this answer, I'll have to get a second opinion.
Buachaill :

Best of Luck!