Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I live in rented accommodation. I have an aupair who is studying

Customer Question

I live in rented accommodation. I have an aupair who is studying here and lives with us. she is married with 2 children who live in Zimbabwe with their father and grandmother. They came here to visit their mother, and as we have the space, and I want Bianca to have as much time as possible with her family, and be able to fulfill her obligations to us, I invited them to stay with us for the month. Due to some delays with visas they have had to prolong their stay and will now be here until the 29th of September.
My landlord has informed today that they have to leave as because they have been here so long they are 'living' here, not my guests. They pay their share of the groceries, but otherwise do not contribute financally. They cause no disturbances or in any way have they damaged the property.
Is their a law defining a time period as a 'guest'? What defines 'living' in a property? Can my landlord order them to leave with 24 hours notice, if at all?
Yours sincerely,
Sj
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract do you have please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The local county council have a rental scheme called RAS. They rented this house for 5 years from my landlord for my family and I. I then pay them a greatly reduced rental rate as I am disabled.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry but that isn't my area then.

I will pass this onto somebody else to see if they can help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but I cannot afford a monthly subscription - there was no mention of that in the beginning! We barely make ends meet as it is as I have to pay for extra care. I was willing to pay €38 for an answer as they have been told to leave tomorrow. Normally I qualify for legal aid - but than can take months to arrange. I'll just have to deal with it somehow.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.