Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am buying a house in ireland but have been told by the neighbour

Customer Question

I am buying a house in ireland but have been told by the neighbour that a right. Of way has to be paid for. There are three. Others Properties on the lane. I would not b the last property. Is this correct. Carmel
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, if there is not a valid right of way to a house you are considering buying, then the property is not worth buying. Accordingly, you should get yourself a solicitor who will carry out a search in relation to the property and see what the situation is in relation to the right of way. If the neighbours are saying that you need to buy a right of way, then that is usually the situation. Accordingly, it will be up to your solicitor to ensure that there is a valid right of way in place before you sign a contract in relation to the house. Each situation is different. There are no hard and fast rules as to whether there is a right of way in place or whether one needs to be bought. This is why you hire a solicitor to establish what the position is before you enter into any binding agreement. However, local knowledge is usually correct. So get yourself a solicitor to find out the position.