Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I bought a crashed car of a cardealer in 2011 for 5000 Euro,

Customer Question

I bought a crashed car of a cardealer in 2011 for 5000 Euro, but he never told me it was crashed. I have since crashed the car myself and claimed of the insurance. The car was written off and I received money of the insurance. They told me the car was valued at 3200 Euro and they were reducing 25% off that value for the previous crash which would be 800 Euro which the cardealer is responsible for. I since spoke to my dealer and he offered me 500 to 600 Euro so I wouldn't go to court. What should I do?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Take the money! Essentially, this is because whilst a car dealer must inform you that the vehicle is roadworthy & fit for purpose, there is no condition laid down by law which requires the car dealer to fully disclose that the vehicle was in an accident previously. Provided the car was roadworthy, then that is the extent of the car dealer's obligations. So if the car dealer will offer you money, you should take it as in law, it is questionable that the car dealer has a liability to you for the €800. In your question, you do not mention whether the car was roadworthy or not and fit for purpose. However, if it was, then you should simply take the money on offer.