Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Can you give advise on the nursing home support scheme in Ireland.

Customer Question

Can you give advise on the nursing home support scheme in Ireland. We have a parent in a nursing home and the other parent has now died leaving his cash assets to one of his sons and his grandchildren. The HSE are implying that the nursing home fee will increase but we think it should be less.There are more details but I would like to know first if you can help. Regards Sonia

I am not sure if this should be under family law.

Also there is a paragraph in the will saying that Mary is to be looked after in the nursing home until she dies and that money is to be available for that.(but the money has not been left to her directly)

All the cash assets are in the name of the parent who died and not the parent in the nursing home.

My take on it now is that her pension and her portion of the house should be taken into account but that the cash assets no longer should be. if she was applying now to go into a home that is all that would be in her name. Am i right in thinking this way.

If you need more information please ask. To get accurate advise you might need more info.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You can close this question. I assume you will automatically refund my account if the money was taken. could you please confirm.

Regards Sonia

Hello Sonia,

I will process the refund now and you should receive email confirmation as well.

I am sorry we could not find someone to assist, and hope you will give a try again in the future.