Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have applied to a Hospital for all Medical Records of my

I have applied to a Hospital for all Medical Records of my late wife who died very unexpectedly at the Hospital;

On receipt of these records where can I procure the services of an independent Medical Consultant to examine these records.

I reside in the Republic of Ireland.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. There are two potential sources where you can procure the services of an independent medical consultant to examine your late wife's records. The first is a booklet published by the Law Society each year, a copy of which is enclosed with the Solicitor's Gazette and sent to every practising solicitor in Ireland. It is called the Register of Expert Witnesses and includes a list of medical professionals in each speciality who are willing to appear in court to give expert evidence in a legal action. You should look here under the type of illness your wife had. The second source is to go directly to the Irish Medical Council and get a list of medical experts in the speciality you require. Choose one and then make your own arrangements with them about appearing in court if this need ever arises. These are the two methods of getting an independent medical consultant. Be aware that there are some medical consultants who only ever do defence work on behalf of doctors. So check this before you engage them.