Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

We live in Ireland.my husband is in full time employment working

Customer Question

We live in Ireland.my husband is in full time employment working 6 days a week I work parttime doing 1 day a week.we have 3 kids one going to school one going to play school costing 40 euros per day and a baby of 14months. If I quit my job would I be entitled to anything
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that any voluntary reduction in employment time disqualifys you from getting the benefit of any State benefit, whether it is unemployment assistance or Job Seeker's Benefit. This rule is based on the fact that a person has to work if there is the possibility of working. Once you self-create a situation of unemployment, this disqualifys you from any State Benefit. I appreciate it that it did not pay you to be working whilst also having two children in childcare. However, once you voluntarily reduce or terminate your employment, no State benefits such as JobSeeker's allowance are payable, I regret to say.