Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi Im Sinead from Ireland I married my husband in September

Hi I'm Sinead from Ireland I married my husband in September in secret due to family problems but now we want to marry in front o our friends and family but still keep our first marriage a secret is that possible here in Ireland?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. If you had a civil ceremony of marriage in a registry office, then it is possible to have a blessing in a church or religious venue. However, you cannot effectively have a legal wedding twice! In the eyes of the law, you have already been married. So, it is like any legal action, the law does not allow for it to be done twice. However, you can get a blessing in a church or similar action which is not a second marriage in the eyes of the law. The way to deal with this would be to approach the church or religious body and explain the situation. They may be willing to have a marriage for you but without the final part of the ceremony which is the signing of the wedding marriage book.