Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My first cousin died 5th October 2012. He left a sizeable

Customer Question

My first cousin died 5th October 2012. He left a sizeable estate. He was domiciled in the Republic of Ireland (County West Meath). Would I be entitled to see/have a copy of his Will? If I were a beneficiary would I have been told.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, there is no central register of wills in Ireland. Accordingly, there is nowhere ;you can go to simply look at a will, before it has been admitted to probate. Once the will has been admitted to probate, it becomes a public document and anyone can view it in the Probate Office. Accordingly, if there is a will, it remains in whatever solicitor's office it was made in. As such it remains the property of the estate of the deceased and it is up to the executor to admit the will to probate.

Buachaill :

2. Be aware that if you want to get the will administered as you believe you might have inherited something you can take out a citation calling upon the executor to prove the will or else renounce his rights to administer the will. However, you should first find out, by asking the solicitor to the deceased, whether he has a will and if it is intended to admit it to probate. The executor may have died or there may be other problems which have meant that the estate and the will has just lain there. So speak to the other relatives and find out the situation in relation to the will, if there is a will. By custom, it is normal for the executor of the will to arrange a reading of the will after the funeral. But this is not a legal requirement. Finally, do not rule out the possibility that there may be no will and the estate is intestate. In those circumstances, it would fall to be administered in accordance with the rules of intestacy and any interested person may apply to take out letters of administration and administer the estate.