UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

hi if a house is left to me but that a brother has right to

hi if a house is left to me but that a brother has right to live in it for his life time ,,does he have to pay all house hold bills if he chooses to live there ?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, if he chooses to live there, the bills should be in his name and he should pay them, including council tax.

The occupier is normally liable for such bills and council,tax, not the owner, unless otherwise agreed between the owner and the occupier.

Hope this helps. Please take a second to rate the service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi as im from ireland is this the law here ,,,,if he chooses not to live there because he has to pay bills ,,at any time can he decided to live there and pay bills as i would be thinking to let out the property thank you

If he lives there he pays the bills. If he doesn't live there, he doesn't pay the bills.

If you let it out, the tenant pays the bills.

Hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my question is if he chooses not to live there and i let house out ,,,can he decided to live there at any time (as will says for his lifetimehe can live there) i would be worried that if i had tenants that he could decide to live there thanks again

Yes, he may decide to live there at any time as he has the right to live in the property during his lifetime.

It will be a problem if the property is let out and he wants to move in unless the,tenants agree to move out as there is a long process for evicting tenants lawfully if they refuse to move out.

Hope this answers your questions. Please leave a rating