Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can the will of a living person be used in court as evidence

Can the will of a living person be used in court as evidence against them?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My sister made a will leaving a tenant a life interest in a house which is also her home. Now the tenant is claiming that they were cohabitating (which they clearly were not). This tenant paid rent and claimed rent supplement. He has now moved out, saying that the relationship has broken down irretrievably, and has cited this will as evidence that they were living together in a committed relationship and that somehow as a result of his commitment to her he is impoverished and she must provide for him financially either through a lump sum or maintenance payments. Can the will of a person still living be used in this way against them?

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I.ve given all relevant information. I notice my debit card payment has been processed and €32 deducted from my bank account. When can I expect an answer?

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

If you are not satisfied, we offer a full refund of your deposit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to search for an expert

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue to try to find someone who can answer my question until 25th April.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
1. Firstly, a will can be used in evidence against the maker, even if the person who made the will is still alive. This follows from the rule that a court will hear all probative evidence in a case. However, a will is not conclusive of the facts stated in it, as it is merely intended to take effect when the person dies. Accordingly, just because your sister made a will giving a person a life tenancy in her house does not mean that she is obliged to provide for this person. It merely shows that this person is attempting to take advantage of your sister's generosity and exercised undue influence over her when it came to making her will. So, although the will can be admitted as evidence, it does not in any way prove what this person is seeking to show. In fact, it proves the opposite.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience