Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

A termination notice - or notice to pay rent - can it be per

Customer Question

A termination notice - or notice to pay rent - can it be per sms or email or must it be in writing and signed by the landlord? When I receive the notice how many days do I have to pay the rent - I think 14 days.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Firstly, a valid termination notice must be in writing signed by the landlord. It cannot be by sms. Secondly, giving you only a day's notice to quit the premises is not a valid notice to quit. You are being blackguarded here by this landlord and his two henchmen. What they are doing is not legal. Additionally, they are required to take rent assistance if that is what you offer. It is not lawful to refuse rent from you merely because it is rent assistance. You should immediately make a complaint to the Private REnted Tenances Board (www.prtb.ie) because what is happening here is unlawful. You should get two months notice in writing before you have to leave. Go to the GArdai and inform them of the unlawful eviction. Get the Gardai to attend at 4pm tomorrow and force the landlord to get a proper and valid termintion notice and proper period of notice.

Buachaill :

2. This whole area of the law is designed to prevent what is occurring to you here.