Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, I moved back from Australia in march. I have no job and

Hi, I moved back from Australia in march. I have no job and no income, cant get jobseekers because Im on a career break until June. My lease ended in May and the electricity and gas wasn't paid by my fellow housemates. The bills are however in my name and they have both went up by over $100 in one month for late payments. Can they still chase me over here, or will I have to pay them, keep in mind that by the time im working again they'l have jumped up again.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, you need to realise that in this era of globalisation, there is nothing to prevent a debt owing in Australia being pursued against an Irish person living in Ireland. Both countries speak the same language and there is little impediment to a debt owed in Australia being sold to an Irish company for them to pursue it in Ireland. So the only issue is whether the debt is large enough to do so. It also means that you will not be able to go back to australia ever without having the threat of the debt being enforced against you. This would apply for at least six years and possibly longer if a judgment is obtained against you. However, it is ultimately a question for yourself as to how you want to handle it.