Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Have received a letter from EPCplc threatening debt collection

Have received a letter from EPCplc threatening debt collection for a bill I did not receive until the second letter appeared with the amount now GBP15.78 plus GBP107.23 I knew I had paid every toll I drove through. Had no idea of this other charging company who would seem to be very low profile . This is the fifth time I have used this road so had no previous experience or knowledge of their existance.Saw small signs but assumed they were refering to the manned tolls.
I am a UK residence, can they carry out this action? Had I received the first letter I would have paid however this extra charge is exorbitant. What do I do?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, please continue the search, my further understanding is that these companies buy the information from EPC, them pursue you in your own country. Do they have jurisdiction here and the right to pursue me as a UK national? Looking on line there seems to be lots of differing opinions, all stressing however a feeling of bullyboy tactics and on lots of opinions to just ignore this as it is just a blanket approach to scare people into paying out.

I do not break the law knowingly, however do not like to feel threatened into paying something unless it is totally legal. Funny how on 10 journey's there has been no response from them, and I was most definitely not even aware of their presence. I had no idea there was 2 toll systems, why is this not advertised more clearly. It would not have occurred to me to check on line, why are they not telling people more directly via the airports or ferry's?Keep in mind we have no tolls in Scotland.

I would appreciate your response, is it legal and should I just pay up through gritted teeth,or ignore the demand? It would make me wonder what a Scottish court would think of their tactics and ridiculous charges.

Abigail

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, please continue, I need an answer, to pay or ignore, is this legal or not. I understand this information is bought from EPC.In turn then being pursued with a rigorous debt threatening communication.

I do not break the law, however on looking on line at other travelers experience the overall opinion would be to ignore this letter, and this is just bully boy tactics to scare you into paying. I need more than opinion, I like facts.

If the law says I must I will, albeit through gritted teeth

pay however I question their right to fine a Scottish /UK national.

Why is there not clearer sign posting. It would not have occurred to me to check on line beforehand having now made the return journey 10 times and paid every toll I went through.

It would be only to obvious that most overseas visitors would come in via the airlines or in my case the ferry. I have never been made aware or read anything about 2 toll systems in operation, I thought I was organised with all my euros for all the tolls I used.

Keep in mind also there are no tolls in Scotland, so this is not something I would think of, although I know this is no excuse, however there is a vagueness in this lack if information a few signs on an unknown road as you flash by is hardly informative. Again why is this not in all the petrol stations, or given to the ferry company's to put in with your e-tickets. Most peculiar.

Please let me know what is the right thing to do, I feel threatened and aggrieved.

Abigail

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Dear Abigail, can you tell me where the road was that gave rise to EPC plc sending you a bill? I ask this question because you are in the Republic of Ireland law section.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here are the further details 20/10/13, 15/12/13, 12/1/14, On the northbound . M50

F1423797205

F1434312693

F1438917362

Abigail

Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. Ignore the notice because it is not cost effective for the Toll Road company to enforce it against you in Scotland. Additionally, be aware that there is no toll booth on the road in question, so I am not surprised that you did not get a chance to pay it.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience