Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

RTA Aug 11. I was rear ended by a much larger and heavier car.

RTA Aug 11. I was rear ended by a much larger and heavier car. My immediate reaction was "Oh my shoulders". The jolt from I pact was v hard. Then therewaspainshooting down my arms to my 3rd and 4th fingers. I was removed from the car,on a spinal board with cervical collar. Initially Physio etc. then MRI of both shoulders and cervical spine. Both shoulders were reviewed by an orthopaedic surgeon and the rt hada rotator cuff repair May 12. Severe pain continued in the neck with loss of fine motor skills in rt arm. MRI showed large bulging disc and was referred to neurosurgeon for C5-C6 cervical fusion with metalwork.This was done May13. Pain in arms gone and motor skills returned. SinceJan 2014 pain has become severe in neck and referred pain in rt scapular. Cervical Rhyzotomy was attempted , but only gave five days relief. I am now told that my only other option is a spinal nerve stimulator. This will reduce my pain from 50% to 75%. I am at present awaiting for VHI approval to have this done. Should not be a problem.
I am now 68yrs old and have a very restricted life because of pain. I have little use of my rt arm, without getting pain in my shoulder and scapular. I am back on 40mg OxyContin to make me human!
This is scheduled for the High Court this coming AUtumn/Spring. I would value your opinion as to how you consider my legal position. I have already spent almost €68000 on personal expenses, eg DrsFees,Surgeons consulting reviews travel, physiotherapy, X-rays etc. I think this could become a large compensation case. - won't make me happier or take the last three years away+ongoing pain . I would appreciate your assessment of value of this case
Thx
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that's fine. I was just wondering what kind of award I might get. I know there are so many variables affecting this, but would be nice to get some idea, even if it doesn't work out that. My solicitor gave me an idea after the fusion, but a stimulator puts pain in a completely different league. If it is too awkward to get an opinion don't worry. We'll find out eventually!!!! Thx

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. YOu will get upwards of 85,000 euros plus your special damages which includes the 68,000 you have spent on medical expenses to date. It is very difficult to give an exact assessment without having full access to both your own medical reports plus the medical reports for the Defence. However, the figure I have given you is a baseline figure. YOur final figure for general damages might be higher but it depends on the medical reports, especially the expert medical reports.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems v little for such serious injuries, especially the neck, having gone through a fusion, and now recommended to have a Spinal Nerve implant. But thank you for your opinion
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. I reiterate what I said in my question. This is the baseline or bottom figure you will get. It is not an exact amount, as I have not had sight of all the medical reports in the case. I cannnot promise you any more as I don't have all the knowledge necessary for an exact assessment in front of me. It is conceiveable that you will get a lot more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thx will keep that in mind
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
3. Please RATE the Answer
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience