Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My father son has sent maintence for him until my son reached

Customer Question

My father son has sent maintence for him until my son reached 18 . My son wants to college this year, is his father responsible for maintance when my son goes to college?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. Yes, a father is responsible for the payment of maintenance so long as the child is dependent. This includes the period during which the child goes to college. Accordingly, you or your son should seek a variation of the court order for maintenance made so that the father pays maintenance whilst the son goes to college. Get a solicitor to formally write a legal letter to him pointing out his legal responsibilities before an application is made for maintenance. Be aware that you should consider doing this application yourself or your son should. Get some help from the local District Court office or Free Legal Aid www.flac.ie office.