Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Inheritance query Access to house to divide contents

Customer Question

I have 2 sisters . When my father died last July (2013) my elder sister inherited my parents house in Ireland. The estate, including house contents were to be divided between the 3 of us. I had been living in the house to care for my parents for the previous 2+years and my sister asked for my immediate vacation. The house was put up for sale. Despite numerous requests to meet up with my sister to agree on division of contents, and to collect various items I left in the house, my sister has been very uncommunicative and not found a mutually convenient time to meet and grant me access to the house. Neither of us live in Ireland. The house is now under offer. Do I have rights to insist on access to the house to enable devision? Can she sell the house and dispose of contents without giving me an opportunity to see if there is anything I would like. There is nothing of great monetary value but there are items I would appreciate for sentimental reasons.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?