Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hello, Could you please tell me if there is a law which

Could you please tell me if there is a law which prevents client A from going to another law firm - without telling their own previous law firm - while negotiations are still in process with client B, and deliberately selling - unbeknownst to the previous law firm or client B - a piece of ground to client C ?
Regards,
Nuala
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am prepared to wait. Thanks.

Nuala.

Hello Nuala,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
1. Dear Nuala, there is no law which prevents this type of behaviour. Essentially, a person is entitled to retain whatever solicitor they wish and transact whatever business which they may wish with that solicitor. Additionally, there is nothing to prevent a client from retaining two or more solicitors in relation to one piece of land provided no contracts issue which bind the client which would conflict with obligations to another party. An individual can sell a piece of ground to whoever they wish. There is no requirement that a sale be exclusively with one person or transacted by a solicitor retained. A person is free to choose who they deal with and whether they bother dealing with an individual solicitor retained by them. They may freely change their mind and deal with a different party C should they so wish, even though they may already have retained a solicitor to deal with party B in relation to the same business. There is nothing in law which requires a party A to deal solely with party B and not deal with party C. This rule applies even if party A has retained a solicitor to deal with party B. Party B is not entitled to any expectation that party A will deal solely and exclusively with them. Party A may at any time deal with party C and get the same or a different solicitor to deal with party C and sell a piece of ground to them.
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience