Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My parents want to transfer the deeds of our house to me -

My parents want to transfer the deeds of our house to me - I live with them. My Dad has dementia and my mother wants to do this now, rather than face problems in the future. Can a solictor sort this out for us?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. Certainly a solicitor can sort this issue out for you. As you are probably aware, solicitors have a monopoly on conveyancing in Ireland so you will need a solicitor anyway to transfer the title to the house over to you. The solicitor will draw up a Deed of Transfer whereby the house will be transferred to you. Once the transfer is effected, then the house will be yours. Be aware that you have a Gift tax exemption of 250,000 so there will be no tax payable on the transfer to you if the house is valued at less or this value. Above this sum, there will be Capital Acquisitions TAx payable by you, I regret to say.