Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

When I was resident in Ireland I wrote a will leaving everything

When I was resident in Ireland I wrote a will leaving everything to my only son. This was just after my ex-wife had left me. My Irish solicitor holds the original copy of the will.My ex-wife and I have since divorced. The divorce settlement involved a clean break without any financial commitments to each other and was granted by an English court. My ex- wife and I are both UK citizens and are now both resident in the UK. Is the Irish will still valid?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
Buachaill :

1. Yes, the Irish will is still valid and operative as of the date of death. Essentially, under Irish law a will is only revoked upon marriage or by act of the testator. It is not inoperative should you divorce. Accordingly, the Irish will is still valid and because it is your only will, it governs all your assets as of the date of death. Be aware that should you remarry, it will be necessary to make a new will.